You may have been told you have an addiction, ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety or panic disorder. None of these diagnoses define you. They are simply names of a cluster of symptoms that many people have that tend to run together. These symptoms have nothing to do with the essence of who you really are. In Christian circles, the real goal of healing from such symptoms is to align your thoughts, feelings and actions in a way that allows you to “hear His voice” and “follow His Will”. Sharing this with your doctor allows him to know who you are and the direction you want to take. Your life may change, but your ultimate goal never does!
According to the Bible, we are all creatures of His creation, made in His image. As a Christian, you are provided “operating instructions” that develop your relationship with God. No matter your station in life, age, sex, intelligence or cultural background, He calls for you to know, trust and love Him. This “call” is real. There is a natural fracture in your self-awareness that creates deep feelings of emptiness. In the middle of the night you awake asking yourself, “Is this all there is?”, “Why is this happening?”, “Why is there such suffering?”, “Who am I?” and “What is my purpose?”. Until you find your answer!
Conscious and Subconscious Mind Communication
These questions are biologically wired into your being. They have been called “original sin” from the Biblical account of Adam and Eve. Biologically it is represented by the split between your conscious and subconscious mind. Your conscious mind is comparatively simple. It creates an internal conversation from a few of your subconscious mind’s thoughts. This allows you to consciously think and then talk with others. This verbal communication is pretty limited and even nonverbal communication barely scratches the surface of your subconscious mind’s total awareness. Your subconscious mind is a vast, largely uncharted sea with rivers of communication extending in all directions using all of your senses.
Any psychological “diagnosis” represents a lack of integration between your conscious and subconscious mind. As a Christian, “the Way, the Truth and the Light” that brings you home is Jesus. This “cluster of symptoms” is your subconscious mind’s call to your conscious mind to align with its efforts. Your subconscious mind has been with you since before your birth. It records everything, remembers everything, knows everything about you, cares about you and would never hurt you. When you stand up, it raises your blood pressure. When you sit down it lowers it. It calls out to your conscious mind to come home. The symptoms are questions. The answers are found by walking with Jesus.
God created a need to reach for Him. The words you choose to know Him help you communicate with your subconscious mind. They refer to a connection that words alone can never fully describe. The words refer to something both within you and yet somehow connected to everything else. These words refer to a faith in a relationship with something that knows you intimately and is always there for you. Discussing subconscious mind’s perceptions will be difficult to put into words. There will always problems when using conscious mind’s words to describe subconscious processes. To know something consciously will never be the same as KNOWING something subconsciously. The words you use to describe your faith extend to everyone as we each are born with a conscious and subconscious mind. We are all born with an emptiness that drives the question, “Who am I and why am I here?”
Ultimate Healing through the Bible
As a Christian, the Bible provides you an understanding that guides your relationship with God.
You are God’s Creation - Genesis 1:27 “God created mankind in His own image”
- Everyone is created in God’s image. We are all a part of His creation.
- Biologically, we are all wired in a way that has us reaching for Him.
Justification – Romans 3:21-26, 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Putting your complete faith and trust in Jesus.
- Biologically, God created you in a way to reach for and realize your relationship with Him. You let go of your conscious mind’s limited view of life and accept in its place your relationship with Jesus. This creates alignment between your conscious and subconscious mind.
- “Child of God” – Romans 8: 14-17
- The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
- The Spirit of God allows you to choose, “The Way”, and thus become a child of God.
Sanctification – James 2: 14-25, Galatians 5:6
- The ongoing and progressive work to love God and each other throughout our lives.
- Biologically, justification aligns your conscious and subconscious mind. This provides accurate communication. Sanctification changes the brain through neuroplasticity (increased neuro-connections) and neurogenesis (new neurons).
- Fruit of the Spirit – Galatian 5: 22-23
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
- These are some of the goals and results of sanctification.
- These are also great goals for anyone suffering from a psychiatric diagnosis.
Every psychiatric illness distorts the communication between your conscious and subconscious mind. No matter what your diagnosis, the ultimate goal of therapy is to completely restore this communication. Allowing your faith to guide your efforts allows the greatest benefits while increasing your ability to “fight the good fight”.
If you would like additional help as you continue on the path to healing, sign up risk free for the Heal in Oneness course.