About Dr. Daniel Kalish
Dr. Daniel Kalish believes that physical health is our platform for emotional and spiritual growth - and that we each have the ability to fully heal ourselves. He is dedicated to teaching both doctors and patients Functional Medicine philosophy and practices. Dr. Kalish and his team conduct Functional Medicine training programs and work directly with patients to uncover the root causes of disease.
Dr. Kalish has an active private practice, having developed his own model of Functional Medicine founded on 25 years of successful clinical results. Through The Kalish Institute’s educational programs he has trained over 1,000 practitioners worldwide in The Kalish Method which solves patient challenges through a proven lab based approach. Graduates of The Kalish Institute include practitioners ranging from Dr. Mercola's medical staff to Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic physicians.
Dr. Kalish received his B.A. in physiology and psychology from Antioch College and completed his chiropractic degree in California. He also studied at the University of London and conducted research with biochemist Dr. Robin Monroe at Cambridge University. His studies led him to mentoring with renowned psychiatrist R.D. Lang, as well as John R. Lee, M.D. a pioneer in the use of progesterone and to teaching collaborations with leading endocrinologist Diana Schwarzbein. More recently Dr. Kalish proudly served as an advisor to the Honorable Patrick Kennedy and participated in the first One Mind For Research Conference where 200 of the nation's top neuroscientists gathered to promote research on brain disorders.
He is the author of three books, “The Five Pillars to Building a Successful Practice,” "The Kalish Method: Healing the Body Mapping the Mind" and "Your Guide to Healthy Hormones" and is a frequently requested speaker for integrative medicine conferences across the United States.
Dr. Kalish spent two years in formal monastic training in Asia. He lived at a Zen monastery in Japan where he studied under Zen Master Harada Roshi. He also lived in a forest monastery in Thailand meditating and transcribing Buddhist
He currently lives in Oakland, California.
4:50 Dr. Kalish's spiritual journey
- Spiritual awakening, initial satori experience
- Studies at a Zen monastery
9:55 Lessons in Japan and Thailand
- Transmission teachings
- Achievable enlightenment
- Being fully in service of others
14:16 The effects of eating one meal a day
- Taking food off the agenda
- Optimization of personal growth
16:57 Life after the monastery
- Seeking a service oriented job
- Functional medicine
23:04 Functional medicine training
- Finding the best mentors
- The need for understandable educational programs
- Learning to listen to the unconscious realms
33:25 The birth of a training program
37:24 Dr. Kalish's approach
- Universal principles
- Helping people before chronic illness
40:31 Study of women with stress
- Treating the big five: fat, fatigue, depression, hormone imbalance, GI problems
- Lifestyle changes and supplements for tremendous results
45:56 The findings of the study
- Benefits of group practices
- Intense emotional stress increases risk of sickness
51:51 Dr. Kalish's resources
- Visit the Kalish Wellness website
- Dr. Daniel Kalish books on Amazon
- Books: The Five Pillars to Building a Successful Practice, The Kalish Method: Healing the Body Mapping the Mind and Your Guide to Healthy Hormones.