About Nicole Beurkens
A unique combination of psychologist, nutritionist, and special education teacher, Dr. Nicole Beurkens, has 20 years of experience supporting children, young adults, and families. She has specialized expertise in evaluating and treating a wide range of learning, mood, and behavior challenges including autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, anxiety, mood disorders, brain injury, and other neurodevelopmental conditions.
She holds a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, masters degrees in Special Education and Nutrition, and is a Board Certified Nutrition Specialist.
Dr. Nicole is the Founder and Director of Horizons Developmental Resource Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she leads a multidisciplinary team dedicated to exceptional evaluation and integrative treatment services, research on innovative treatment protocols, and professional training on best practices.
She is a best-selling author, award-winning therapist, and published researcher. When she isn’t working, Dr. Nicole enjoys spending time with her husband and four children. She is dedicated to empowering parents with knowledge and strategies to help children reach their greatest potential.
3:22 Dr. Beurkens' early years
- Empathic ability
- Learning to set boundaries
- Parent/child connection
9:27 Choosing to help children
- Merging interests to teaching and special needs
- Knowing when to make a change
15:58 A career shift to clinical psychology
- Life after children
- Sensing a need to support parents
18:17 The decision to find a way to help others
- Fulfilling purpose by finding a way
22:49 Working with a team
- RDI training
25:58 Nutrition and integrative health
- A comprehensive approach to learning challenges
30:14 Incorporating special needs children
- Tips for teachers and parents
38:54 How to handle "screen time"
- How much time is healthy
- Parents set the example
42:59 Dr. Beurkens' resources
- Members of the Oneness Approach community and the public are invited to download Nicole's ebook Wait! Before You Medicate ... Questions Every Parent Should Consider Before Medicating a Child for Developmental or Mental Health Concerns.
- Visit Dr. Beurkens website
- Connect with Nicole on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube
- Follow Nicole on Twitter